Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 04 wrx not starting

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

04 wrx not starting

i just pulled the engine to replace a throwout bearing and once i got the engine re installed it wouldnt start. the engine makes no noise of it trying to turn over. my boost guage and clock go off when i try but my driver guages all stay on. When i push the clutch in i dont feel resistance till im about the whole whay to the floor.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

There is a BIG ground wire that hooks up to the top starter bolt (coming directly from the battery). Sounds like you forgot it.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    There is a BIG ground wire that hooks up to the top starter bolt (coming directly from the battery). Sounds like you forgot it.
    i hooked up the ground. i even tried cleaning the grounding point still no luck. is it possible to have a bad starter? does the fact that im not feelin resistance in the clutch possibly have anything to do with it?

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

The clutch pedal is a different issue. I did a WRX clutch a year or so ago and had no pedal at first until I hooked up the battery for some strange reason.....still to this day I don't know why.

You can try bleeding the clutch to see if that helps you some.

As far as the starting issue, it sounds like you have some kind of ground problem somewhere. Check your grounds first. Then check to make sure the ignition wire (the single small wire) is hooked up to teh starter and the power lead (the thick one that has a 13mm nut holding it on) are hooked up.

On the note of the power wire, on my Outback when I put the transmission back in, I had issues with it starting. It turned out that the stud on the starter for the big power wire.....it had spun inside the casing and shorted out destroying the starter. This may be your issue as well.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

ok so i should get the starter tested then to see if it has shorted out? and ill try bleeding the clutch tomorrow as well. thanks for the advice gives me a few things to look at.

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Yeah get the starter tested

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Did you snap the throwout bearing back into the pressure plate? If you didnt the clutch fok if freefloating on the trans input shaft and isnt actually moving the clutch. On the no start thing make sure you check you hooked both wires back up to the starter, the small one is easy to miss, trust me Ive dont it.

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madmeridius View Post
    Did you snap the throwout bearing back into the pressure plate? If you didnt the clutch fok if freefloating on the trans input shaft and isnt actually moving the clutch
    Sounds like you don't know about the clips that hold teh throw out bearing to the clutch fork lol

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I do but I also know on the WRX with the pull type clutch you have to snap it into the pressure plate when you put it back together. You have to grab ahold of the clutch fork and pull on it untill you feel it snap into the pressure plate.

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

Are you sure you have full battery strength, may be something to check for starting along with the mentioned, wire check and starter test.

Far as the clutch pedal goes, does it push then stay to the floor or does it come back up on it's own?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast