Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RalyGrl's Rally Car #853

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

RalyGrl's Rally Car #853

Noble Star Rally
    1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe

Original color: Gloss BlackRacing Sanction: Rally America (stage rally) & Detroit Region SCCA (rally-x & TSD)

Welcome to my rally car thread. A build that seems to be never ending There is always room for improvements, and well... if the car is not happy... neither is the driver! We are a MI based grassroots rally team. I have been fortunate enough to be blessed with awesome crew who are each skilled in various aspects. The car was built with money I saved up over the years, financial and part donations from various individuals and at the hands of myself and my team. It is definitely a "budget" rally car, and if there is any advice I can give or any questions you may have feel free to ask!

Noble Star Rally Team:
    Driver: Amanda "RalyGrl" Skelly
    Co-Driver: Derrick Rudisel
    Manager: Kayla Fryatt
    Crew Chief: Dan Fryatt
    Crew:
    Ben Vallerand
    Matt Peterson
    Joshua Pembleton
    Travis Rudd
    Photographer:
    Derrick Rudisel/Eric Delaney/Kayla Fryatt
    Marketing/Design:
    Derrick Rudisel - Ainove Inc.
    (Special thanks to Jacob Bryant, Derek Vandenbroek, Ronnie Allor, Jeff Reamer & Matthew Maciejewski
    for all of their time, dedication and help during the original rally car build and for crewing at various events in 2012!)

BUILD TIMELINE
    August 2011: Gut car and prep for cage
    September 2011: Cage install. Body work, paint and graphics

October 2011 thru January 2012: Finish complete build (suspension, brakes, engine install, wiring, light bar, clear engine bay of things such as A/C & ABS, safety equipment etc etc... to be updated over time)

January 2012: Debut at Sno*Drift
    April 2012: Attended Magnum Opus Rally in MI. The engine spun a bearing.

April thru May 2012: Engine pulled and New engine installed.

June 2012: Attended STPR. Finished the rough stages of day 1. On SS6, first stage of day 2, the new engine blew up... Valve snapped and shot through the piston. Re-evaluating engines and sponsors.

August thru September 2012: 2.2L purchased, ECU/Harnesses purchased. Rerouting the wiring, installing the new engine, breaking in. Updating safety - reorganizing. Installing yellow window tint. Redoing underglows. Installing roof scoop. Painting steelies. Reorganizing sponsor decals. Applying for financial assistance to attend Olympus 2012 in honor of Matthew Marker.
    September 2012- car will be involved in the Guinness World Record Attempt in honor of our former SubaRoots teammate Matthew Marker on September 16th. We will be traveling 2400+ miles to WA state to compete in the Olympus Rally in honor of Matthew September 22-23.

THE RALLY CAR!

CAGE:
    Installed and fabricated by Thompson Racing Fabrication.

ENGINE & TRANSMISSION:
    Transmission: 4:11 Forester transmission replaced the blown motor and disturbed 5 speed originally used in the rally car. Donated by 31 Motorsports.

Engine #1:
    A 2.5L mysterious engine, which had a spun bearing from the beginning (see previous press releases for the teams rally experiences!). The original ECU was removed and replaced with that of a 200 Forester. Matching wiring harness was merged with the rally car's original harness.

Engine #2: a naturally aspirated 2.5L DOHC engine from a 1996 legacy wagon mated with their 2.5L SOHC Impreza heads. What we think may have been caused by a part failure... the new engine blew with less than 1,000 miles on it... Valve shot through the piston, causing catastrophioc failures. Many various factors to consider in regards to the damages: too high compression, ping, heads shaved too much, part failure etc... POR!

Engine #3: 3rd time is a charm...?? We have decided to convert the rally car into a 2.2RS for reliability. I have purchase a 2.2L (phase 1 unfortunately) engine with a 6 month warranty - GREATLY needed with my luck lol! I have also purchased a wiring harness and ECU from a 97OBS that will be adapted to merge with the 2.5L chassis.

SUSPENSION:
    Suspension from a 2002 WRX was mated to the 98’s original suspension.

BRAKES:
    Hawk HPS Pads
    Centric Rotors
    Stock Calipers painted blue

TIRES:
    Hankook Gravels (used) Hoping to purchase Pirelli or DMacks in the future

EXHAUST:
    2 ½ inch stainless steel exhaust and high flow catalytic converter serves as the muffler. Crew chief inserted 2 baffles to help with air flow as we were not getting enough back pressure.

EXTRA FUN!
    Awesome green and blue mud flaps from IKEA cutting boards. DIY
    Primitive Rally roof scoop
    Humming bird welded to dash

INTERIOR:
    Drivers Seat: OMP TRS
    Co-Drivers Seat: Sparco Sprint 5
    Harnesses: G-Force
    Customized hydraulic handbrake
    Yellow window tint (in remembrance of Matt Marker)
    (lots of fun customization coming to be revealed in 2013!)

PAINT/BODY WORK:
    Paint and graphics were done by crew member Matt Peterson. (design originated from Amanda's ideas and drawn and brought to life by Matt).

2012 SPONSORS:
    Ainove Inc.
    Ken’s Body Shop
    31 Motorsports
    SafeDrives.com
    SubaRoots Rally Racing
    Japanese-Creations.com
    TIM (Team Illuminata Motorsports)
    TRF (Thompson Racing Fabrication)
    Discoveryparts.com
    Impression Center

My crew and I have poured our own blood, sweat and tears into the rally car, and in just 3 ½ months, the car and our team debuted at Sno Drift 2012. Was such a HUGE accomplishment for us all! Passing tech the first time was something I will never forget!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: RalyGrl's Rally Car #853

Awesome members journal. Keep up the great work. I loved reading all that.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #3

Ladies First

User Info Menu

RalyGrl's Rally Car #853

Wow that's awesome! Love to see the rally side!

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

We are just 19 days away from leaving for WA state... a 2400+ mile trip one way for the Olympus Rally which takes place on September 22-23rd. Currently, the car is under the knife. Things have been going smoothly for the most part... The new 2.2L we received started up and purred like a kitten on the first try last night... well early this morning

Read about our trip here: www.rally-america.com/news/1233

Ben is buttoning up the wiring, Dan is putting most of the car back together. Intake and valve covers are going to be powder coated shortly... I will be painting the steelies (thank you $6 can of lime green spray paint) and the roof scoop will be prepped, painted and installed in the next week as well. Everything is coming along together nicely. For updates pics on the latest conversion visit here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7868423&type=3

Missing a few random things it appears: (and some of the most random things too hmmm... i think the garage monster must have gotten hungry)
    **Narrow band o2 sensor (3 wire o2 sensor)
    -from a MAF sensor equipped pre 99 impreza

**Ignitor (thin black box aprox 3" x 2" x 1/2" with 6 pin plug)
    -Sits on top of the pitch stop mount

**Intake tubing from throttle body to MAF sensor.

**Bottom half of air filter box and filter.

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

That is awesome! We are prepping the car for Olympus next weekend. Taking the 2400+ mile trip to WA from MI. Nearly everything is set to go on the car, just buttoning up a few small things and we are ready to rock... Leaving for the Guinness Parade with the car tomorrow and then off to WA we go on Monday!

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NobleStarRally View Post
    Leaving for the Guinness Parade with the car tomorrow
    Leaving in under 11 hours to support this ^^^. Geeked ATM. But gotta get sleep. Oh and good luck in WA.

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thanks

WA was a success! The new 2.2L ran smoothly, and the only issue we ran into were bad gravels... Tossed those and to my surprise we had 3 sets of gravel tires DONATED to us! The Olympus Rally was by far one of the most amazing experiences of my life and so eye opening. It was very humbling to be out there and Matthew certainly made his presence known to all of us. Will post some photos of the event soon!