Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Brake Upgrade Guide

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Brake Upgrade Guide

This is a make upgrade guide for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen Please note I will specify which models certain brakes do and do not affect. This is my piled compliation of threads that I have read so please thank these people and check out thier threads. Please thank Jamal over at ****** he is also over on SLI and damn near everywhere you can think of, I read alot of his threads that were littered with info. Its great reading material when your taking a number 2.

Brake rotor guide from Jamal
    Rotor detail from KNS Brakes
    Nissan rears from Woopdeeze
    Buttdyno put together a great compliation of brake threads

Why Upgrade brakes

There are plenty of reasons to upgrade your brakes but here are some ideas to make you think.

Is this your first mod?

If this is your first mod that you want to do great! But how are your brakes right now, have they been recently maintained with turned rotors, pads, fluids? If you are stopping moderately quick and your brakes are up to standards, I would start with suspension. Not to persuade you away from brakes but if everything is in working condition and fairly new working on another mod that will make an everyday difference such as a sway bar, newer springs, fixing things that are worn or don't work on your car first. setups can cost 200 and all the way up to 2,000 dollars. These aren't a money friendly mod, but they do last a good minute.

Should I go all out?

Ready to buy some brakes and just want to go all out to get it over with may not be the best idea. Keep your budget and goals in mind for your car. There are plenty of setups that can fit all budgets and satisfy. Simple mods can just be replacing your pads and fluid with performance pads and fluids. Going all out doesn't mean you your setup will be better than everyone else. In the next post I will show uses of the setups so that you can find out what will or might satisfy you.

Should I Upgrade my Stock Setup?

Not everyone needs Brembo or 4pots sometimes performance pads, rotors, fluid, brakelines are the perfect fit, If you are on a budget for a perfect dd this could be your ticket. For a little over 150 you can upgrade your front rotors, pads and fluid and have exceptional stopping power. Alot of people go this route to save money and keep it simple.

Can I just upgrade my fronts?

Yes you can, and its perfectly fine to do so, just remember any larger rotors, or calipers will result in the brake balance being off. The front will wear alot quicker than the rear and you car will have more front dip under braking than usual. Adding a upgraded rear brake setup will even out the balance more.
    Last edited by WESTcoast; 08-09-2012 at 07:29 PM.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

OEM Front brakes:

2002-2005 WRX 2 pot brakes

For: 2nd gen models
    Cost Range: 60-150
    Rim size needed: 16x7 (oem wrx wheels and rs 5spokes will work)

Details: The 2002-2005 WRX uses a 295x25.5mm rotor, and a larger 2 piston caliper, you will need the caliper, bracket, slider pins and pads to install these. Take note that in 03 they changed the caliper, bracket so this is somthing to be aware of when gathering parts but most importantly when buying pads.

Use: Great for minor upgrade to literally the largest WRX rotor. You can find sets with or without rotors for low prices so it doesn't break your wallet. Good rotors and pads and this can be great setup for someone who does occasional autocross and mainly daily drive their car

2005-2009 Legacy GT 2 pot brakes

For: 2nd gen, 3rd gen models
    Cost Range: 200-500
    Rim size needed: 17 (oem 2005-09 lgt rims will work)

Details: The 2005-2009 LGT Caliper upgrade use a massive 316x30mm rotor, just shy of the STI's 326mm but uses a 2pot caliper. You will need the caliper, bracket, slider pins and pads to install these. This is a great up grade for the 3rd gens that want to save some money.

Use: Great for upgrade for anyone that will still do occasional auto crossing but wants better stopping power from a larger rotor. Its a great in between budget for upgrading to 4pots or modding your stock setup on a 3rd gen legacy.

2006-2007 WRX 4 pot brakes

Cost Range: 400-900
    Rim size needed: 17 (oem wrx wheels and 2005 legacy rims will work)

Details: The 2006-2007 WRX uses a 295x25.5mm rotor same as the older models but adds in a heavy duty 4pot caliper to the mix. You will need the caliper, pad pins, cross spring, pad pin clips and pads to install these. The 4pots were increased for this year for better stopping power, pad bite and pedal feel as the wrx got its 265hp motor.

Use: Getting serious about autox? Starting to think about doing light track day work? These 4pots are for you, going from 2pots to 4pot will add a significant increase in stopping power, rotor fatigue everything!

JDM V3-5 STI 4 pot brakes

Cost Range: 250-600
    Rim size needed: 17 (oem wrx wheels and 2005 legacy rims will work)

Details: The JDM V3-5 STI 4pot calipers are the older brother to the 06-07 4pots. They use the same 295x25.5mm rotor and all the same hardware. You will need the caliper, pad pins, cross spring, pad pin clips and pads to install these. the only difference are the texture and color, the JDM 4pots have a rougher texture to them and have embossed raised lettering saying, "Subaru" while the 06/07s are a sticker. Finding these around the same price the 06/07s or a little bit cheaper comes at a gamble, remember these are older calipers that have seen more use than the its newer siblings.

Use: Getting serious about autox? Starting to think about doing light track day work? These 4pots are for you, going from 2pots to 4pot will add a significant increase in stopping power, rotor fatigue everything!

WRX STI Brembo 4 pot brakes

For: 2nd gen, 3rd gen, 4th gen, 5th gen
    Cost Range: 800-1600
    Rim size needed: 17 (oem 2004 sti 5x100 rims will work)

Details: The best OEM Subaru Caliper money Money can, the STI Brembo 4pot Caliper. This beast uses a 326x30mm which is huge, huge enough that you need 17 inch rims at the least to have the caliper and rotor clear. These can be seen as Gold in color, 08+ STI's have them in Black . You will need the caliper, pad pins, cross spring, pad pin clips and pads to install these. Any STI caliper will bolt up but as for rotors ONLY THE 2004 STI CAME WITH 5X100 ROTORS, 2005 STI ROTORS AND UP WILL NOT BOLT UP.

Use: If you are serious about your track days but want to retain oem for parts availability these are the calipers for you. They will stop you on a dime, fill up your wheel and look damn good in gold doing all of that.
    Last edited by WESTcoast; 08-09-2012 at 05:31 PM.

3. Likes gonzoman10 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

resrved1

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

reserved 2

6. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Well done Jon!

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Awesome!
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

8. Likes gonzoman10 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

props my man!!