Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: DOHC EJ22E

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

DOHC EJ22E

It's been a long while since I've been here & those who know of me know that some time late last year, my 25D blew up. (Rod #3 punched a hole through the block).

I recently obtained a 22E & decided to make another DOHC version since the block I got had wiring that was not compatible to my car. This is my second time making one of these & so far, it turned out good. I still have yet to start it due to waiting on tomorrow for my paycheck, then I'll be able to buy the fluids needed to start it up. For now, I'm gonna' feed your eyes with some pictures. (People, whenever you work on engines, keep your bolts/nuts/screws together in bags (label the bags) so that they don't get lost & keep in mind that it is imperative that they go back EXACTLY WHERE THEY CAME FROM.)

When I first got it, it looked like this...

After a few minutes of examining it closely, I began to take it apart.

This engine was said to be a 1995. This pic confirms it.

After more time, I removed the intake & all of the smaller things bolted or screwed to the engine & began to remove the cylinder heads. (Follow the service manual removal procedures for the intake & cylinder heads.)

These must be the old style head gaskets...

I like the way that my new ones look a lot better.

For those of you wondering if the 22E/25D intakes can be swapped, no, they cannot. They have completely different bolt patterns. If you use the 25D heads, you must use the 25D intake & wiring harness. (25D bolt pattern below).

The older style & newer style timing belt tensioners & their back plates are completely different. If you use the new style, you must use the plate that it bolts into. (Replace the tensioner if it is used).

There were changes to the EJ22E during it's run from the cylinder heads to the piston crowns. The top is the 1995 piston crown & the bottom is the 1998 piston crown.

I believe that it doesn't hurt to have an 11mm oil pump for this kind of frankenstein since it will be run hard a few times once I break it in. Btw, the crank gear slides right out with no difficulty. If you do experience a little resistance, it's most likely corrosion & you'll have to put some penetration oil on it. Be patient if you have to do that. Btw, 22E & 25D crank & cam sensors are the same.

On our autos, there are 4 12mm bolts holding the flexplate on the torque converter. DO NOT REMOVE THE TORQUE CONVERTER. Turn the crank to access the 4 bolts & remove them (turn them counter clockwise).

Btw, DO NOT FORGET to replace the seals when you have everything apart. This goes for the rear main seal & resealing the oil separator behind the flywheel/flexplate. If you have an older EJ, it most likely has the plastic cover. Replace it with the upgraded metal cover.

I have an intake manifold spacer on my frankenstein. To install one in general, you have to cut the EGR valve pipe behind the left head & extend it a little more than the length of the spacer.

This next pic is a demonstration of how 22E MLS gaskets look on the 25D heads.

If you put together a DOHC EJ22E, assemble it as you would a 25D & use the 25D head bolts (22E bolts are too long), oil dipstick (25D dipstick has a higher mounting point), & black coolant pipe (22E pipe will NOT fit around the left DOHC head.)

Follow the factory service manual for the 25D to reassemble everything & make sure bolts & screws go back in their exact same spot. The end result will look just like a 25D.

If there are any questions, I'll answer them to the best I can. Btw, the final compression ratio I calculated with this particular engine was 8.8:1, which should be somewhat decent until I add a turbocharging kit. To anyone wondering if our pistons come up over the deck, yes, they do.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Very nice write up.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I've put 104 miles on the DOHC EJ22E so far & logged the mpg @ 30.3 on the highway going 68mph w/the engine turning @ 2800rpm! City mpg is around 23-24. Amazing. It's only weakness that I've been able to run into so far is extremely steep hills.*It has good pulling power on the highway for what it is. It's a little lazy from 0-20mph but afterwards, keeps up with traffic effortlessly.
    Last edited by DOHCEJ22E; 12-12-2012 at 11:20 PM.

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

<- The DOHC EJ22E running as smooth as can be. No head gasket leaks. No popped rods. Nothing. Just excellent heads on an excellent block. Subaru should have made these things from the factory back in those days (w/turbo of course!)

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Sounds great! Awesome job.
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Log: (8-6-12)
    I've put 104 miles on the DOHC EJ22E so far & logged the mpg @ 30.3 on the highway going 68mph w/the engine turning @ 2800rpm! City mpg is around 23-24. It will go to 26 if I feather it around town. Amazing. It's only weakness that I've been able to run into so far is extremely steep hills. It has good pulling power on the highway for what it is. It's a little lazy from 0-20mph but afterwards, keeps up with traffic effortlessly.

Log: (8-7-12)
    I found that the engine revs up QUICK from 2500 to almost 4000 rpm while passing. It kind of surprised me so now I have to be a lot more sensitive with my foot. There are no coolant leaks nor is there overheating or oil leaking. I showed a few Subie guys the 22E & they couldn't believe it. Apparently, the SOHC 2.2 head on 2.5 block swap is a lot more popular in the streets & it's very easy to see why. The car runs fine on 87 octane & I got 30.1mpg today on the highway. The temps range from 185 to 205 degrees F & my thermostat needle started working again out of the blue. It gets pretty hot under the hood but I suspect that it's because my UEL manifold is causing the intense heat. I'm going to have to wrap it up. I also got a CEL for the MAP sensor, which will be replaced. So far, so good. I'll keep logging in & hopefully make a video of it when I can.

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CRZTRBO View Post
    Sounds great! Awesome job.
    Thank you!

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Log: (8-17-12)
    I drove 54 miles today & plugged my scanner up to the OBDII port to have it consistently record 30.5mpg highway & 24-26mpg in mixed street driving. The car is definitely a little lazy below 2500-3000rpms but nothing that really bothers me. I took it through the winding roads in Willington & went a little hard on it. After I install the "Sport" mode, the transmission will take better advantage of the engine's TQ.

This engine has a totally different & very enjoyable personality when you keep it above 3Krpms & toss it around a bit. The power is there & its always available, never dropping as long as my foot is in command. The only things the kept me from really putting it to work are the tires (they feel like mush) & my worn struts/shocks (coilovers sound great about now).

I've noticed that the oil is very clean when I pulled the dipstick, which means that the blue Subie filter is doing its job well. I was always told that the blue filters were no good & always stuck with Mobil 1 but the blue filters are even better than that, I think. I'll be sticking with it from now on. I really want to see the true potential of this particular engine & though decent it may be, I will be saving up for turbo money.

Night:

The 22E running as smooth as can be. I am actually eager to make another one of these engines now that I know they're actually pretty easy to build. My next GT (wagon) will have one for sure since they make excellent cruisers. For my future Outback or SUS, I want to do a 22E head swap (w/port work) on a 251/253 block.

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Today's Log:
    640mi on the "EJ22D" and it's still running very smoothly.
    I have noticed that it is VERY slow to decelerate, which is good because & can get in & out of the power without having to floor it, unlike my first 22E.
    My first DOHC EJ22 was a lot like this one but with a tad more power (I used a Phase 2 block) but I'm very satisfied with the mpgs I'm getting from this engine.
    26city/30+highway with a combined total of 29.5-30mpg, which I'm REALLY not looking forward to sacrificing for a turbo just yet, especially with what the gas prices are.
    The engine doesn't knock are anything like that & it's power delivery is very smooth. I just wish my cruise control worked but that is a whole other issue entirely.
    Power Mode & FWD Mode mods coming soon (Really procrastination since I've been spending a LOT of my time doing side work & hanging out with a friend & her family watching Tyler Perry Madea plays.