Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Grimmspeed boost control solenoid

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Grimmspeed boost control solenoid

OK guys, i don't know if this has been done before, or even if i'm in the right category on here....
    but the fact of the matter is I've read all about the advantages of the boost control solenoid replacement when running higher boost, but how does it work? what are the advantages? can i tune my boost through the 3port solenoid? can i stage my boost by gear? what does it really do compared to a manual/electronic boost controller? i'm lost here. the product sounds great in theory but if i go ahead and get it i dont want to turb around and have to purchase a boost controller on top of this. plus get it tuned.

any information, advice, experience is welcomed appreciated greatly

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Grimmspeed makes an EBCS and a MBC. I currently have both on my car. The MBC simply sets a max that you will go, it's a fire and forget controller. The 3 port is an electronic controller, that allows you to plug into the factory harness with no splicing. I've found that it helps me get into boost a bit faster, but more importantly, it's more reliable in high boost applications. For tuning specifics, I'll have to let one of our brains chime in on that side. But having used both, I can say that they essentially do the same thing, but there's more fine tuning you can do with the EBCS.

Not sure if that answered your question fully as to what it does. But yes, it's definitely something you'll want to get AND TUNE FOR.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

i know i need to tune for it because it works differently than the oem solenoid, im not running a high boost application so mostly for the idea was trying to tune in my boost with this rather than use a manual boost controller, if thats a beneficial idea i would go for this rather than a manual boost controller because they are relatively in the same price range. i do like the quality of the grimmspeed manual boost controller as well so if this route isnt my best option then i will go with the mbc

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

The big difference, really, between a MBC and a EBCS is whether you want to control boost, or if you really want the car to control boost. Personally, I think the car is smarter than I am as we go down the road. What we're setting up in mine, ultimately, is a MBC to control the cap, and a EBCS to control what happens up to the cap.. so it's not a balls out rush to boost all the time. I prefer drivability to raw power any day.

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

ok now it makes more sense to me

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I'm a huge fan of combining the 3 port EBCS with the factory ECU. Tuned right, you can tailor your boost for a wide range of driving conditions and get amazing reliability and consistency.

The issue I have with the manual boost controllers alone by them selves is that they do nothing to improve spool because it is always bleeding pressure Nor does it compensate for the infinite variety of variable conditions that require changes to boost dynamics. As mentioned it is a "set it and forget it" method of control and IMO it is used by tuners that really don't know how to tune the factory turbo dynamics.

And also (Rek correct me if I'm wrong) you can get the same EXACT valve from the Grainger catalog for half the price. If I'm not mistaken the Grimmspeed's are the same valve just re-branded.
    Last edited by HolyCrapItsFast; 08-02-2012 at 01:54 PM.